In This Issue...
- A Theology of Humor by Cheryl Taylor
- Ministering With Humor by Stephanie Nance
- Christian Leaders Having Fun? by Pam Morton with Kathy Jingling
- The Health Benefits of Humor and Laughter by Dwenda Gjerdingen, MD, MS
Women in Ministry - March 2006 Issue
Life Above “See” Level
Has God given you a dream, yet at times it seems like it will never become a reality? Has God promised you something in your life or ministry, yet you find yourself doubting if it will ever come to pass? Are you believing that God will do something great, yet the only voices around you are saying: “It can’t be done; it will never happen; you want to do what?”
Even great women in the Bible had doubt. Sarah laughed when God told Abraham she would have a baby at age 90, and Mary couldn’t fathom how she could have a baby, as “I have not known a man.” Yet every time God was true to His promise, no matter how incredible it may have seemed.
While it’s natural to experience occasional feelings of doubt, we cannot allow them to dictate how we live our lives and carry out our ministries. Remember what Jesus told doubting Thomas? He said, “Stop doubting and believe… Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” (John 20:27,29).
There will be times when we will not see, in the natural, how things can possibly work out. But Jesus is calling all who would follow Him to a new level of faith, to a life above “see” level. We see this illustrated in Hebrews 11, the great hall of faith. “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for” (Hebrews 11:1,2). God had called each of these people to something great — something that required stepping out in faith, even when it seemed impossible as far as they could see.
This issue is dedicated to encouraging you to live a life above “see” level. It contains inspiring stories from women in ministry, women just like you, who dared to believe God when nothing around them indicated success. What is it that God wants to do in and through you? Dare to dream big, then step out in faith, for with God, all things are possible!
Included in this issue:
- Faith to Believe Beyond What the Eye Can See by Betty Baxter. Bedridden for 14 years, yet Betty Baxter never stopped praying for healing. Her story is an inspiration to all who are faithfully waiting to see the answers to their prayers.
- Between a Rock and a God Place by Judi Braddy. Judi shares how you can maintain hope when you have a prodigal in the parsonage.
- I Can’t, I Don’t, And I Haven’t, by Brenda Duckett. Brenda reminds us that the only way to do great things for God is to stop operating in our own strength, and rely on Him.
- Standing in the Puddle of Answered Prayer, with Donna Barrett. Donna knew that God had called her to pioneer a new church, but it was in the most expensive region in Ohio, and she was a single woman. With no role models to follow, at times she did not know how this would ever become a reality.
- Realizing the Impossible Dream, with Monica Delaurentis. Everyone said, “It can’t be done,” yet this interview with former drug addict Monica Delaurentis shows how she is being used by God to plant churches that are ministering to thousands of hurting people each week.
- 20/20 Hindsight. Missionary Dianna Lang inspires us to trust God even when we don’t have the vantage point of our final destination.
- Beauty for Ashes: Ministry Following Devastation. Carol Carpenter encourages us that what Satan means for evil, God can use for good.
- Lessons I Learned in the Dark, Jennifer Rothschild, Multomah Publishers, Sisters, Oregon, 215 pages, paperback
- Headlines, Bylines & Lifelines, Carol Carpenter, 3 Cross Press, Kansas City, Missouri, paperback)
The following resources are available at: www.gospelpublishing.com.
- Ever Increasing Faith by Smith Wigglesworth
- Experiencing the Great I Am: Forty Faith-Building Stories from Contemporary Christians, by Bryant & Cindy Heflin
- Faith that Prevails, by Smith Wigglesworth
- God Will Make a Way: What to Do When You Don’t Know What to Do, by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
- If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat, by John Ortberg
- Miracles Happen When Women Pray, by Bobbye Byerly
- Reaching Your Dreams: Seven Steps for Turning Dreams Into Reality, by Tommy Barnett
- Surprised by Prayer: The Wonderful Ways God Answers, by Karen Barber
Websites of ministers featured in this Issue:
- Judi Braddy: www.judibraddy.com
- Carol Carpenter: www.heartsfocus.com
- Monica DeLaurentis: www.iccmonline.com
- Betty Baxter: http://www.geocities.com/bettybaxterstory/index2.html